Saturday, February 25, 2006

a succulent plant


{click to enlarge}

This guy came into my life at the wedding of my sister-in-law in the early '70s. It was altogether a fine occasion. Wedding on Malibu as the sun drifted down into the Pacific at the close of a beautiful day. Pleasant people celebrating the couple, playing guitars, beach-combing, watching out for famous faces.

It was a gift of two generous -- fine, generous, kind -- souls, with whom my wife, my then wife, and I stayed.

I think of it as fat grass. It propagates itself and survives quite a bit of neglect.

Now, more than 30 years later, for the first time, it's sending forth a blossom. What a surprising little guy. I'm grateful to the woman, my now wife, whose watched over it since we ourselves married not much less than 25 years ago.

Here's a close-up of the blossom {again click to enlarge}

No comments: