Wednesday, November 05, 2008

six-word memoirs

Smith Magazine has a web site for its Six Words story project. It says:
Legend has it that Hemingway was once challenged to write a story in only six words. His response? “For sale: baby shoes, never worn.” Last year, SMITH Magazine re-ignited the recountre by asking our readers for their own six-word memoirs. They sent in short life stories in droves, from the bittersweet (“Cursed with cancer, blessed with friends”) and poignant (“I still make coffee for two”) to the inspirational (“Business school? Bah! Pop music? Hurrah”) and hilarious (“I like big butts, can’t lie”).
Here are some more reader submissions:
Breakfast of bran, damn... traffic jam

Know very little; suspect a lot.

Lump in my breast. Oh shit!

Nine years old. Can't do anything.

404: Life could not be found.

Dear Jason,
I'm sorry.
Love,
Anna

Unwritten songs will never be sung.

Better and Worse than I thought.

Sir, you are creating a scene.

Here is how my story begins

They say I'm like my mother......

Ancestors went steerage. I take subway.
There's a book that "collects almost 1,000 six-word memoirs, including additions from many celebrities."

No comments: