Monday, August 31, 2009

The Ride

A few decades ago, when the internet was bright and new and the web was yet unborn, I noticed that people who work with computers tend also to be bicyclists. These things — the tendency and my noticing it — had advantages as I found I could buy and sell used bikes and gear via electronic communication with guys far distant. These transactions worked well quite a long time before there was an eBay, or Cragslist, or any of that. Geeks tend also, it seems, to nurture art and design and they can be good photographers and designers in their own right of course.

These thoughts coalesced when I came across yesterday's post in the Examiner's Bicycle Transportation Blog by Adam Voiland (which I recommend). It's Weekend Pick: Ilovedust illustrations and it concerns Ilovedust, (that is to day "I Love Dust") which is a British graphic design outfit. The post explains that they created some very nice bike pictures for the first issue of The Ride Journal. This issue is now available in pdf format: http://www.theridejournal.com/the_ride_issue1.pdf (It's a big file and may take awhile to download, but the wait is worth it.)

The journal explains itself here. It's a journal of personal stories by racers and commuters, roadies, cross-country riders, track racers, BMXers, and all, from whatevery country they call home, but most of all it's a magazine of good images and great design. These should give you some idea of the overall quality of its images and design:


{This graphic was made for the second issue of The Ride Journal. It's called Hokusai Ramp and is by Mig Pilot who says it's "my take on the mighty wave. Hand sketched, scanned and digitally painted." my source: flickr}


{This and the next two are by the ilovedust design group; my source: fishwithoutmeat on wordpress}


{my source: ilovedust on wordpress}


{my source: urbanvelo.com}


{my source: theridejournal.com}


{my source: ilovedust on wordpress}


{my source: fixedgearswitzerland.com}


Note: I've put reduced-size images on this blog post under fair use provisions of Copyright Law. If you'd like your image removed, please contact me via comment and I'll take it down.

No comments: